Head of Marketing (Toronto-based)
Marketing & Communications
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Baselane is the banking and financial management platform for individual landlords and real estate investors. We are backed by leading FinTech investors, including Activant Capital, Collaborative Fund, Conversion Capital, Diagram Ventures, Matrix Partners, ThomVest, and many FinTech leaders from PayPal, eBay, Google, and more.
We are building the future of financial services for the 12+ million individual landlords and real estate investors who own over 25 million homes in the United States. Our mission is to empower landlords with financial services, automated tools, and actionable insights to help them save time, increase their returns, and grow their investment portfolios.
We are a seasoned team with deep experience in financial services and technology. We have previously worked at companies including The Boston Consulting Group, Morgan Stanley, Plaid, Harry’s, Better, WealthSimple, RBC Ventures, Affirm, NorthOne, Borrowell, RazorPay, and more.
We have offices in New York City and Toronto.
Learn more at baselane.com.
About the Role
Baselane is seeking a proven marketing leader to join us as Head of Marketing. We have built a strong growth foundation that has driven significant user and revenue growth over the last year, and we are now looking for an experienced operator to join us and take Baselane’s growth to the next level - building and leading all facets of our Marketing team and GTM efforts.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to build on Baselane’s strong traction to date and establish a growth engine built for scale. You will lead marketing & growth initiatives across multiple channels and strategies and own the full growth funnel from acquisition to conversion and retention. We seek a high-energy, entrepreneurial leader who is not afraid to take risks and has a proven track record of driving out-of-the-box growth strategies and meaningful scale at a high-growth company.
You will collaborate closely with founders, Product & Engineering, Business Operations, and Customer Experience. You will take the lead in attracting top-tier talent to grow the team as we scale, and you will play a key role in building a high-performance growth culture throughout the organization.
- Building on the existing foundation, develop and own the customer acquisition, conversion, and retention strategy to unlock the next level of growth for Baselane
- Work closely with Business Operations, Product, and Customer Experience teams to develop compelling customer value propositions and new acquisition unlocks
- Manage messaging and communications strategy to support customer acquisition and engagement
- Manage and develop Marketing Stack to enable experimentation and quick iteration - using tools such as Segment, Mixpanel, GA4, Hotjar, and Customer.io
- Attract top-quality talent to join Baselane’s Marketing team, and grow the team as we scale
- Champion growth mindset and metrics-driven decision-making throughout the organization
- Hire and manage external contractors/agencies to support individual growth initiatives
- Develop and manage acquisition campaigns across channels, including SEM, SEO, paid social, podcasts, emails, affiliates, and relevant partnerships
- Think outside the box and work closely with Product and other teams to develop new mechanisms to unlock growth (e.g. product-led growth, partnerships, community, etc.)
- Own customer lifecycle communications (email and SMS); Work closely with Product, Customer Experience, and Sales to identify and execute new activation opportunities
- Build source of truth metrics for full full; Monitor, analyze, and report KPIs and return on marketing spend
- Generate data-driven hypotheses and run A/B tests across different strategies, campaigns, channels, and products
Define & own Baselane’s marketing & growth strategy
Build and manage the Marketing team
Coordinate and execute growth strategies & campaigns
Own the customer activation and revenue funnel
Ideally, you have:
- ~10 years of experience driving growth at high-growth early to mid-stage companies; Experience in B2C, and FinTech or PropTech strongly preferred
- Track record of scaling an early-stage business and driving significant user and revenue growth (e.g. scaling the company from Series A to Series B, or similar)
- Clear track record of driving creative growth approaches that go beyond traditional channels; Experience working with Product to launch new products that unlock growth opportunities
- Have built and managed a multi-channel growth engine from the ground up; Owning meaningful budgets and allocating capital across channels and initiatives
- Experience working with messaging, brand, or PR teams to define company messaging and value proposition
- Proven success executing online marketing programs with CPC, CPM, and CPA cost models, as well as hands-on experience executing creative, out-of-the-box growth unlocks
- Data-driven approach and strong technical foundation; Experience managing growth analytics (e.g. A/B testing, channel effectiveness, LTV/CAC, etc.) and experience with relevant growth and data tools (e.g. Mixpanel, GA4, Hotjar, Tableau, Sigma, Customer.io, etc.)
- Working with designers & developers to build creative assets that drive performance
- High energy approach; Excited to generate and test new ideas and strategies
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting, building, and empowering high-performance teams
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to build enthusiasm for your strategies and those of your team, both within the Marketing team and across the broader company
Track record of owning Marketing and Growth execution in a high-growth company
Experience and passion for the details - Operator at heart
Track record building high-performance growth culture and teams
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation
- Equity - Ownership in what we are building!
- Full health-care coverage through CanadaLife
- Life Insurance and Disability Coverage
- Generous time off
- Flexible working hours and location
- Remote working stipend to set up a home office
- Regular social events